no user interface

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 16:27:05 PDT 2004

it was said:

>I just installed 5.2.1 via download onto cdr media. I left about 10
>gigs
>open for freebsd, and left 9 for my win2000. the dual boot works fine
>on my
>dell laptop, however when i go to load freebsd 5.2.1, i cant get into
>graphical interface. Instead it stays in a "dos-like" interface with
>commands only. It recognizes my user name and the admin name of root,
>but
>there is only a command line and no background. i installed cd1, i
>have a
>boot only and a second disc which i have not installed. please point
>me in
>the correct direction
>
>james heck

Hello,

On the off chance you're not trolling, Welcome to FreeBSD! That
"dos-like" interface _IS_ the user interface. The "graphical" interface
you incomprehensibly seem to have expected is the X window system. That
is an add-on that runs on top of FreeBSD (much like MS Windows runs on
top of MS-DOS). You will most likely want to run something along the
lines of KDE or Gnome. Those are desktop environments somewhat similar
to what you're used to. However, if you think that you will be using
wizards and clicking thru dialogs, you are in for quite a surprise
because you're not in Redmond any more. Remember, *nix Is user
friendly; it's just particular about who its friends are.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Regards,

Stheg