problem with portupgrade.. or so it seems

LiQuiD liquid at homebass.ca
Tue Aug 24 15:26:29 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I have a machine running 4.10 stable that has a "problem" whenever I try
to run portsdb -Uu.  The message the scrolls down the screen is as
follows:

 /usr/ports/INDEX:11586:Port info line must consist of 10 fields.

That number changes... it basically goes from 0 to that (for all I know)
as I can only go as far back as about 11300

I tried deleting the INDEX, INDEX.db files and such from /usr/ports and
running make index to generate a new one, and I keep getting this error.
I have even tried using a new tool I recently learned of here on this
list called portindex, and I get the same error, except I don't have to
wait 2 hours to see it.

I even went as far as to delete /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db and even rm -rf
/usr/ports/* and using sysinstall to "reinstall" the ports.  I can't
avoid getting that error, and the result is portinstall simply doesn't
work because it can't find any packages.  The odd thing is that another
box had freebsd installed and upgraded to -STABLE at about the same
time, and while it at first had the same error, forcing portsdb to
reconstruct the database worked for that machine, as was suggested on
the man page.  Why on earth wouldn't it work for this other machine?

Thanks in advance for any insight into this

Sandro M.