apache permission problem please help

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at ub.edu.bz
Tue Aug 24 15:18:01 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 03:09:04PM -0600, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> SEE ERROR BELOW
>
> Was playing with permissions on my home dirs last night and changed
> everything to chmod 700 had some problem with users looking at and
> copying other users webpages.  I have a directory in each users home
> dir named www where they keep there web files ie
> /usr/home/username/www  so i guess when i changed everything to 700
> apache was unable to use these files.
>
> Now i have tried the best i can to change everything back set  to
> chmod to 655  and even tried moving a site to /usr/local/www/username
> in hope that apache could read it there but no luck what has happened
> please help.
>
> Wait now things have started to work, for the web site that i moved to
> /usr/local/www/username. There seems to be some lag  after i make
> changes to the permissions and restart apache is this possible.
>
> I have a real mess on my hands now guess i will have to play with
> permissions and modes now to get all the sites backup.  How do i set
> up home directories that are secure for each user ie other users on
> the system cannot read them but apache can.  Should i move all web
> pages to the /usr/local/www dir.  Also is there some way to automate
> this so that when i create a new user or modify a file things will
> work correctly.  Have been using UNIX for many years finally got up
> the courage to play with modes and perms.  Guess i  shot myself in the
> foot like i have been warned about by many people and docs.
<snip>

A better approach would be to set each users home dir itself to 700
permissions, not necessarily all the files and directories in each users
dir. Are you using a httpd.conf directive such as
<Directory /home/*/public_html> to allow users to publish files from
their home dir, or are you putting sym links in the web root?

Nathan
--
PGP Public Key: pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD8527E49