Installing ports

Joe Kraft hishadow at netcabo.pt
Tue Aug 24 13:11:36 PDT 2004

Florian Hengstberger wrote:
> fetch time out
>
> It seemed to me that the mirror servers are not uptodate or that
> some filenames have changed in the meantime, because fetching data
> from ftp-servers worked a few times.
> But in nearly all cases I had to copy the files manually in
> /usr/ports/distfiles as "make install" finally suggested.

I had similar problems and it took me a while to figure it out.  The
FTPs that worked for me were the ones I manually started, not the ones
done by the ports makefiles.  I'm accessing through a firewall and it
seems that when ftp is used there it doesn't automagically try to use
passive mode.  I needed to add FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES to my environment
variables.  I don't remember exactly where it went though.

Joe.