portscan looks like....

Bob Ababurko ababurko at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 23 21:12:11 PDT 2004

Hello-

   I have just done a portscan on my FreeBSD box running 5.2.1 and got :

PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
25/tcp   open  smtp
80/tcp   open  http
111/tcp  open  rpcbind
1023/tcp open  netvenuechat

now, i made a faux pas when i configured this machine and had made this a
nfs client...i belive that was the case.  I am now interested in turning
this off, and will be able to do that with rpcbind_enable="NO" in rc.conf.
     Then there is the case of the port 1023.  I have no idea how to turn
this off or how it got turned on.  Could the rpcbind allowed someone into
my computer to hack it up?  I am pretty scared at this point.  Can somone
help me?

thanks,
Bob