Question for the PPP wizards (AKA: RoadRunner dial-up woes)

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Mon Aug 23 20:15:00 PDT 2004

Doug Poland said:
> Hello,
>

> I get the 1st capital P in Ppp, but then the session hangs as it waits for:
>
> Aug 23 20:03:18 eden ppp[738]: tun0: Phase: Chap Input: CHALLENGE (16 bytes from
> rrlns1-mc1)
> Aug 23 20:03:18 eden ppp[738]: tun0: Phase: Chap Output: RESPONSE ()
>
> I don't know what to enter at this point.

After more extensive googling and a re-read of the handbook, I've come closer.  It would
seem that AOL/TimeWarner wants:

  Username: aolnet/ent.MYUSERNAME at rr.com
  Password: <normal password>

at the login, but wants simply:

  MYUSERNAME at rr.com

for the Chap Authentication.

I'm able to provide this with userland ppp and setting authname authkey before entering
the term.  Then in the term, I add the aolnet/ent. to the beginning of my username.
Then I'm good to go.

So the next questions is, how do I provide the login prompt with something different
than authname?

--
Regards,
Doug