how to view .ascii file?

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Mon Aug 23 15:27:08 PDT 2004

Jay O'Brien wrote:

> I'm trying to read the 'paper.ascii' file contained in
> /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz and it is
> a mess. This is a tutorial on "make". I've unzipped
> the file in a WinXP machine and I can't find a display
> tool that will not show the formatting stuff in the file.

Thanks to all for the fixes; they all work except lynx,
apparently because lynx isn't present. I didn't realize
there's such a difference in "plain ascii" between FreeBSD
and Windows.

Now that I can read the file, I see that it isn't what I
thought it would be; it is referred to at the end of MAN
MAKE and I thought it would be useful, as it was called a
"tutorial". It reads like a foreign language to me, however,
as I don't (yet) have the basic understanding of "MAKE" that
it expects.

This all started as follows: I did a make install clean of
XFree86, hoping to start over and take another shot at LCD
display parameters. The message I received said it was
already installed, and "You may wish to 'make deinstall'
and install this port again by 'make reinstall' to upgrade
it properly. I want to know how 'make deinstall' and 'make
reinstall' operate before I use them. But that's another
subject.

Jay O'Brien