HP Netserver RAID Controller + FreeBSD 4.10 problem

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Mon Aug 23 04:23:01 PDT 2004

* Troy Settle <troy at psknet.com> [20040821 07:59]: wrote:

Hi Troy,

> I don't know if this is the right answer, but if you have to manually
> specify the root partition, it's because the kernel can't find the root
> partition to even read fstab.  I can't say that I've seen this before, or
> even know how to overcome it.
>
> Did this behavior also exist before you updated to STABLE?

It sure existed! That is the reason I updated to STABLE in the first
place. My plan was:

1. Install minimal system from CD (4.10) - I did that and the problem
   was there with the GENERIC kernel.

2. Overwrite this with the contents of a disk that runs -STABLE.
   I did that as well but the problem did not go away.

So I compiled a kernel with support for "amr" but that does not
solve it as well.

It's important to say that I have two disks on this hardware, running
as two individual virtual disks in RAID 0. (This is my first hardware
with RAID anyway, so I must say I am not any familiar with RAID).

> BTW, I just did an install and an update to STABLE on very similar hardware
> (MegaRAID 466), and it worked fine.

May I please take a look at your dmesg output??

> I also have an HP branded card, but I've not used it in an install yet.

What is that "branded card"?

        Best regards,
        Odhiambo Washington
        Wananchi Online Ltd.

Are you hosting your domain name with the leaders??:
See http://webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/KE

DISCLAIMER : http://ns2.wananchi.com/~wash/Email/disclaimer.txt
 Odhiambo W. wash(at)wananchi(dot)com	. WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)
 http://www.wananchi.com/email/		. 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,
 Mobile: (+254) 722 743 223		. # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI
All of mankind has still a lot to learn. Me too... ;)

Our problem today is not that we have lost our way. Mankind is forever
losing his way. Our problem is that we have lost our address.
    --G. K. Chesterton