FreeBSD scanners

Ian Moore imoore at picknowl.com.au
Sun Aug 22 05:46:54 PDT 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:13, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Anton Alin-Adrian wrote:
> > EPSON perfection 1670
>
> http://www.sane-project.org says it has "good" support for the 1670.
>
> There's an entry for the printer in /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/uscanner.c
> (FreeBSD 4.10), so FreeBSD should detect it as a "uscanner" device.
> (Assuming you'll be using USB; can't say how other interfaces work.)
>
> Based on my experience with the Epson Perfection 1640SU (works fine),
> this would be the way I'd look.  Epson is better about assisting the
> open-source community than many other manufacturers.
>
> It may be possible to get the Expression 1680 to work, because SANE
> says it has "complete" support for it.
>
> There's no entry for the scanner in uscanner.c, but adding entries isn't
> difficult; usbdevs -v will tell you the ID numbers.  It's not a
> guarantee that it would work, though.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

I have a DiamondView DV650U scanner that is supported by SANE, but I always
assumed that because FBSD doesn't detect it as a uscanner device, just a
ugen, it wouldn't work. How would I edit uscanner.c & rebuild whatever to see
if it works?
I can see a list of supported scanners in the file - do I just add en entry
for mine?

usbdevs -v gives the following:
-- Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1, FlatbedScanner 22(0x20b0),
Color(0x04a5), rev 1.20
 port 2 powered

Cheers,

Ian