File Manager

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Aug 21 20:35:35 PDT 2004

Emon wrote:

>Hello everyone
>
>I am a newbie, I have just installed FreeBSD(4.10), and would
>appreciate some guidance.
>
>First of all, is there any user friendly File Manager like
>Midnight Commander (or anything else)?

Welcome to FBSD.  If you've installed the ports tree, try
this from a shell prompt:

            %cd /usr/ports && make search key=commander

[That's "move to the ports directory on the usr partition
and search the ports tree for any port with 'commander'
in a data field" ... it's a specific command enabled for that
dir by the Makefile in /usr/ports]

There are 4-5 programs there, one of which might
fill your needs.  If you run one of the large Desktop
Environments (KDE or GNOME), you probably already
have something that good or better....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.