make installworld error

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Aug 20 17:42:41 PDT 2004

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

> After going through a cvsup
> make buildworld
> make kernel
> reboot
>
> I am now on make installworld

A little too quickly, it seems.

> I had to do a mergemaster -p in order to get make installworld to run,

And the reason for that you may see in a minute ...

> but finally after seemingly corrected all the changes wtih
> mergemaster, make installworld ran.
>
> Well, it ran for a good while but then errored out with:
>
> install -o root -g wheel -m 444 test.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1
> *** Signal 12
>
> Now I'm really screwed.

Yup.  Go back to the top --- I missed where
in your list of steps you actually *installed*
the new kernel...

 From the handbook:

        Warning: While it is possible to update only parts of your
        source tree, the only supported update procedure is to
        update the entire tree and recompile both userland (i.e.,
        all the programs that run in user space, such as those in
        /bin and /sbin) and kernel sources. Updating only part of
        your source tree, only the kernel, or only userland will
        often result in problems. These problems may range
        from compile errors to kernel panics or data corruption.

And also, the section entitled "The Canonical way to update your system":

        To update your system, you should use the following procedure:

        # make buildworld
        # make buildkernel
        # make installkernel**************** (emphasis mine)
        # reboot

        You should boot in single user mode (using boot -s from loader
            prompt for example). Then run:

        # mergemaster -p
        # make installworld
        # mergemaster
        # reboot

I'm not sure what to advise; your world is calling for
system calls your (old) kernel doesn't have.  Either
reinstall on a new or blanked HDD and restore your
backed up data, or see if you can mount the drive on
another box and move all the kernel stuff (the new stuff)
to where it belongs, or stick around and see if someone
smarter than me (I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable
re: such things) has a better plan.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.