make installworld error

Curtis Vaughan curtis at npc-usa.com
Fri Aug 20 15:45:41 PDT 2004

On 20 Aug, 2004, at 14:19, kstewart wrote:

> On Friday 20 August 2004 02:06 pm, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
>> After going through a cvsup
>> make buildworld
>> make kernel
>> reboot
>>
>> I am now on make installworld
>>
>> I had to do a mergemaster -p in order to get make installworld to run,
>> but finally after seemingly corrected all the changes wtih
>> mergemaster,
>> make installworld ran.
>>
>> Well, it ran for a good while but then errored out with:
>>
>> install -o root -g wheel -m 444 test.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1
>> *** Signal 12
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src/bin/test.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src/bin.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>>
>> And that's it.
>>
>> Any ideas as to what is going on?
>>
>> Wait a minute. I just noticed that, whereas I've made bash my default
>> shell, I don't think it understands any commands now.  And now I just
>> rebooted and it can't find a shell to boot into.
>>
>> Now I'm really screwed.
>
> You are supposed to hit the spacebar at the twirling thing and do a
> boot -s
> It will ask you if sh is ok and you use that.
>
> Kent
>
> --
> Kent Stewart
> Richland, WA

No, it's asking: Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh

But when I hit RETURN, it says: pid 7 (ssh), uid -: exited on signal 12
Aug 20 08:41:58 init: single user shell terminated, restarting

and then it asks again: Enter full path....

I have tried also manually entering in:
/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/bin/chsh