Extract Email Attachments.....

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Fri Aug 20 14:07:05 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 07:51 -0700, samy lancher wrote:
> Hello All,
> I have a sendmail Email server on freebsd OS. I  would like to know if there is any way I can extract the attachments that come with email and store them in a local folder. I do not want to use any MUA. I will be getting several Emails with image attachments. I just want to automatically extract those image attachments and store them in local folder. Are there any third party applications or some kind of script or maybe need some configuration on the server for this purpose. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Naveen.

You can use mimeStrip available at http://oneguycoding.com/opensource/
mimeStrip has lots of uses.  For example I use it in a procmail recipe
to do exactly what you are looking for.

:0
* ^Mailing-List: .*yahoogroups.com
{
        :0 fw
        | /usr/local/bin/mimeStrip.pl --dir=${HOME}/attachments

        :0:
        lists/yahoo
}

This recipe will save the attachment to my attachments directory, and
strip them from the original email and save it to the lists/yahoo
folder.

--lonnie