make installworld error

Curtis Vaughan curtis at npc-usa.com
Fri Aug 20 14:06:20 PDT 2004

After going through a cvsup
make buildworld
make kernel
reboot

I am now on make installworld

I had to do a mergemaster -p in order to get make installworld to run,
but finally after seemingly corrected all the changes wtih mergemaster,
make installworld ran.

Well, it ran for a good while but then errored out with:

install -o root -g wheel -m 444 test.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1
*** Signal 12

Stop in /usr/src/bin/test.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/bin.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

And that's it.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Wait a minute. I just noticed that, whereas I've made bash my default
shell, I don't think it understands any commands now.  And now I just
rebooted and it can't find a shell to boot into.

Now I'm really screwed.