cd and dvd burning program K3b and permissions for non-root users.

edwinculp edwinculp at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Aug 19 08:52:40 PDT 2004

First I would like to thank:

Oliver Fuchs <oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de>
"E. Eusey" <elcoocooi at earthlink.net>
Oliver Fuchs <oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de>

For their excellent and similar suggestions for getting this to work and apologize for not answering quicker but I've been trying and trying to find the right combination.  After applying and testing all individually, I still haven't been successful.

The problem is that cd0 isn't recognized by k3b unless the user is root.  The only error I can find from k3b is:

k3b: (K3bDeviceManager) /dev/cd0 resolved to /dev/cd0
k3b: (K3bCdDevice) /dev/cd0: init()
k3b: (K3bCdDevice::ScsiCommand) open device  failed.
k3b: ERROR: (K3bCdDevice) Unable to do inquiry.

Perms are:

/dev # ls -l cd0 xpt0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    4,  22 Aug 16 10:46 cd0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator  229,   0 Aug 16 10:46 xpt0

I created a mount point directory for the "plaza" and added the entry in fstab and they can mount /dev/cd0 on their mount point.

/dev/cd0 on /home/plaza/cdrom (cd9660, local, nodev, nosuid,
read-only, mounted by plaza)

I set up sudo for camcontrol which works perfectly

ALL             ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/camcontrol devlist

/home/plaza # camcontrol devlist
<SONY CD-RW  CRX230ED 4YS1>        at scbus0 target 1 lun 0
(cd0,pass0)

I have set uid root on:

/usr/local/bin # ls -l cdrdao cdrecord
-rwsr-sr-x  1 root  wheel  510232 Aug 12 20:22 cdrdao
-rwsr-sr-x  1 root  wheel  254636 Aug 12 20:19 cdrecord

The "plaza" user can play audio with xmms but still can't use k3b.

If you have any ideas what I´m missing, they would be appreciated.

ed