Xorg or XFree86?

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Thu Aug 19 05:06:45 PDT 2004

On Aug 18, 2004, at 9:28 PM, Eric Crist wrote:

> I've seen a lot of posts over the past couple months regarding
> installation of X.org.  I was wondering, is it that much better than
> XFree86 that it's worth the hassle?  If so, what are those advantages?

On a new machine with 5.2.1 I decided to use X.org rather than XFree86.
Built everything from source as I was also interested in abusing this
machine a bit for confidence that it would be reliable.

Creation of an XF86Config has always been one of my biggest nightmares.
Its way more than I care to do by hand. The automatic tools rarely get
me closer than 90%. Its always something such as, "Why is it in 8 bit
mode?"

Used xorgconfig, which is obviously based on XF86Config, and was easily
able to configure for a single resolution with 8, 16, and 24 bit
depths, and selected 16 as the default. I don't remember why this was
always so hard with XF86Config.

I still had to hand insert DPMS and wheel mouse parameters, but for the
most part I understand those.  :-)

Installed KDE after X.org. For the most part the fonts look better than
the supposedly same KDE under XF86 on another machine. Only the font
used for articles http://ezine.daemonnews.org/ look worse.

Was a bit concerned whether the 8MB ATA Rage XL PCI video would be
satisfactory. The stock video on Dell 400SC. Haven't tried to play a
DVD on it, but otherwise its just fine.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net