Xorg or XFree86?

Jonathan T. Sage sagejona at theatre.msu.edu
Wed Aug 18 20:47:53 PDT 2004

Eric Crist wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've seen a lot of posts over the past couple months regarding
> installation of X.org.  I was wondering, is it that much better than
> XFree86 that it's worth the hassle?  If so, what are those advantages?
>
> Thanks,

Eric -

first up "worth the hassle"

1.) on a new install, (5.x, i don't run any 4.x systems anymore), there
is no hassle.  At least, no more than on XFree86.

2.) updating to x.org on a previous XFree86 isn't all that difficult,
*if* all the instructions in ports/UPDATING are followed to the letter.
   Also, remember that it is a major upgrade to the system, and a lot of
libraries, so occasionally, linked applications can fail.  A simple
rebuild fixes this. (note:  "usually".  We should all recognise what
this one means)

second up "advantages"

1.) primarly, it's lisence is a bit more friendly to bsd, particularly
redistributing.  I'm not an expert, lots of people are, if your
interested in this, hit up google.

2.) it's an update of the x system (as of now anyway, XFree86 has a new
version too, which AFAIK, hasn't made it to ports yet.  i may be wrong
here).  I can't speak as to all the benefits, but i know for me at
least, it fixed an AGP device issue i had nicely.

the bottom line is, YMMV. but, x.org is now the default in 5.x, so i
suppose the "more" unofficial support method is to go with the default...

hope this helps.

~j

--
Jonathan T. Sage
Theatrical Lighting / Set Designer

"He said he likes me, but he's not in-like with me."- Connie, King of
the Hill

[HTTP://www.JTSage.com]
[HTTP://design.JTSage.com]
[sagejona at msu.edu]