Setting up a jail's IP address?

Luke luked at pobox.com
Wed Aug 18 15:31:13 PDT 2004

I'm attempting to set up my first jail.  This box acts as a firewall for
my network.  It contains two network cards - one points to my internal
network and the other to the outside world.
I want to run SSH in a jail to allow SSH access from the outside world to
a controlled environment inside this box.

The first problem I'm having is that according to every jail tutorial I've
seen so far, I'm supposed to bind the IP address of the jail to a NIC.
Well... both of my NICs already have IP addresses bound to them, so
ifconfig always fails with "ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists".

The second problem is that I'm not entirely sure which network card I
would bind the jail to anyway.  The jail has to have an internal IP
address, I assume, but it needs to talk to the outside world so my first
instinct is to bind it to the network card that's hooked to the outside
network.  That would mean binding two addresses that aren't even on the
same network to one card, and that sounds like it might be problematic.

Can someone clear this up for me?