using cvsup

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Aug 18 15:15:13 PDT 2004

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

> I'm a little confused about using cvsup.  I'm referring to 2
> resources (The Complete FreeBSD - 4th edition, and
> www,freebsd.org manual for cvsup).  BTW, I currently have FreeBSD 4.8
> installed.
>
> Ok, so, I know I need to edit a supfile and I have found
> all the examples. But it seems to me that it is advisable to
> put my own edited supfile in a particular directory.
> What is the best or more common practice?
> Maybe in the base directory: i.e.,  /usr/local/etc/cvsup/ ?
>
> Note that I will not be using the gui.  I have not installed
> X windows (XFree86) as this is to be a server and I no
> intention of using any gui interface.

Hi, Curtis ...

As a courtesy to others who are maybe not running a GUI,
(perhaps reading via the CLI with mutt, etc.) it is a good
practice to wrap your mail lines at about 72-80 characters
in mail to the FreeBSD lists (AAMOF, probably good practice
for all mail..)

I can't say what's common, nor best, but I'd think the answer
is "wherever works for you."  Probably your $HOME, so the
command would be (assuming your in your $HOME):

           %cvsup stable-supfile

In my case, I put it at / --- since I have to be root or use sudo anyway,
the command is then:

        %cvsup /stable-supfile

Works for me.  One thing you want to watch out for;
periodically categories in the ports tree are added,
changed, or removed, so you usually need to have
a current copy of the ports-supfile in whatever location you
choose....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.
But whatever works for you would be fine.