help !!!!!

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Aug 18 07:05:05 PDT 2004

> hi,
>
> please be more specific when asking a question. Read
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/
> about how to ask question on this list.
>
> as a second note, read the User Account Management documentation
> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/users.html).
>
> > I installed FREEBSD 5.2.1. I can telnet to Free BSD box from Windows 2000
> > client. I can telnet to it with my USERNAME and PASSWORD. Then I want to be
> > root. So I issue SU - ( or SU - root).  then FreeBSD box asks me the
> > password (root's password ).
> > when I give root's password, FreeBSD box does not accept . Why ? Pls help me

You need to be in the wheel group to su to root.
You can add your id to group wheel either logged in as root or
in single user mode.

> it's a very bad idea to use telnet for obvious security reasons. Use
> ssh. Please note that toor and root both have a password of their own
> and you'll have to be in their group in order to su.

Although ssh is a better (more secure) way, it does not have anything
to do with the question and neither does this about root and toor.

The whole issue is being in the wheel group.

Neither root nor toor have a password unless you set one.
The install process asks to set a root password (which some
people skip) but never asks to set a toor password and so if
there is one, it is because the admin intentionally did it later.

////jerry