help !!!!!

Thomas Spreng spreng at socket.ch
Wed Aug 18 04:31:31 PDT 2004

hi,

please be more specific when asking a question. Read
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/
about how to ask question on this list.

as a second note, read the User Account Management documentation
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/users.html).

> I installed FREEBSD 5.2.1. I can telnet to Free BSD box from Windows 2000
> client. I can telnet to it with my USERNAME and PASSWORD. Then I want to be
> root. So I issue SU - ( or SU - root).  then FreeBSD box asks me the
> password (root's password ).
> when I give root's password, FreeBSD box does not accept . Why ? Pls help me

it's a very bad idea to use telnet for obvious security reasons. Use
ssh. Please note that toor and root both have a password of their own
and you'll have to be in their group in order to su.

Cheers