xtset or xtermset tricks?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Aug 17 21:00:25 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 09:51:23PM -0400, Duane Winner wrote:

> Gary Kline wrote:
> >	Is there a way of using xtset/xtermset to retrieve the
> >	-n "Name"??
>
> Hm, not sure. I just started with xtset myself this morning when I
> decided I was getting sick of having 10 xterm windows all over my lawn
> with the name 'xterm'. I never gave descriptive labels since I'm most
> often ssh'd into other boxes and am more interested in where I am.
>
> Maybe, depending on how you start each xterm (icon/shortcut), you could
> set a variable name (XTNAME="Mail") for each one, then run:
> # xtset `echo $XTNAME`

	Yeah, sure there is some kludgey way of resetting
	the xterms.  Looking at the issue from a hacker's perspective
	I can't see many options for resetting.  Unless you wantedthe
	names always reset at 04:30 or whatever.  Oh-well.

> But now, since I hammered out that little cd() function for .bashrc, I
> found another little problem:
>
> If I su to another user (for instance, "su - root"), the title changes
> as long as the other account has my the function in .bashrc, but when I
> exit, the title still has the old credentials (example: root at mybox:~)
> until I cd somewhere again. Sigh.

	What happns if you omit the " - " when you su?

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix