multi-homing and pf; removing user with uid 0

Marc Cabanatuan mcabanatuan at wi.rr.com
Tue Aug 17 15:55:51 PDT 2004

Oh also, when i connect to a service bound to the primary IP (say its
a .2) and im connecting to a .6 to the SAME service (not bound to the
address) it goes right to .2

eg, i can ssh to .6 and it allows me to get to the box. i would really
like it to be completely seperate, or at least as seperate as possible.

Marc Cabanatuan wrote:

| so far ive got this along with the primary inet address with the
| /27 subnet mask in /etc/rc.conf
|

| ifconfig_rl0_alias*="inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.255"
| (replacing 0's with ip address of course) Chuck Swiger wrote:
|
| | Marc Cabanatuan wrote: [ ... ] | |> Right now I've got a /27 and
| I am attemtpting to add 5 addresses |> of that adress block (ipv4)
| to the box as either seperate |> addreses (not aliases to the
| primary interface) or seperate |> addresses bound to
| sub-interfaces. So far I have been |> unsuccessful and the host
| told me to use aliases. | | | FreeBSD doesn't let you configure
| multiple IP addresses within the | same subnet.  You will either
| have to use different netmasks, or | else use aliases as
| recommended. | |> I also wish for these settings to stay after
| (re)boot. | | | See /etc/rc.conf, and add something like: | | #
| Sample alias entry. #ifconfig_lo0_alias0="inet 127.0.0.254 |
| netmask 0xffffffff" | |> Not to mention they say my firewall is the
| problem and they |> couldn't get out to the internet from root
| console (im using pf |> and have the rule of 'pass out all'. | | |
| Hmm. | |> Next thing, a second account just 'showed up' on the box
| with uid |> 0. |> |> toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root: -
| from |> /etc/master.passwd |> |> I suspect it was techs from the
| host, but I want it off the |> machine. How do I do this? | | |
| FreeBSD ships with a toor account available but disabled, which can
|  |  be useful if someone breaks the shell used by the root account
| | itself.  If you want to get rid of it, run vipw. |