memory usage question

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 07:10:40 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 03:39:40PM +0200, Mipam wrote:

> I have a question about usage of memory.
> Despite the well documented articles about it some things are still
> unclear. In top we see memory devided in several items:

Try this article, buy the guy who wrote some very large chunks of the
VM system:

    http://www.daemonnews.org/200001/freebsd_vm.html

As for the meaning of the different labels top(1) shows attached to
memory sizes: those indicate a sequence of memory caches for different
age levels of pages.  Note that the system doesn't overwrite cached
pages on a timed basis, but rather picks the oldest unused memory to
recycle as and when some other application requests it.  Stuff can
stay in the memory caches for a very long time on a quiet system.

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/misc.html#TOP-FREEMEM

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way