Frequent crashes with Mozilla and Firefox

Karel J. Bosschaart karelj at kayjay.nl
Tue Aug 17 01:14:12 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 08:59:07PM -0400, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 12:51:36PM -0700, Your Name wrote:
> > In the last few weeks ive started getting a number of
> > crashes using either Mozilla or Firefox. im using the
> > newest version of each from Ports, on FreeBSD 4.9.
>
> Sorry for the "me too" post, but since people are reporting
> different results: I have two main computers, one running
> 4.10 and one running 5.2-CURRENT, but with otherwise
> similar setups. GNOME in both cases.

So I'm not the only one!? I'm using Firefox on 4.10 and 5.2 with KDE
and found that it's quite OK on 5.2 but crashes often on 4.10, I think
mostly on webpages with flash content.

> The CURRENT machine is fine; I'm pretty sure I've never had a
> crash in several months of operation. The 4.10 machine is

Never? Wow. I can't say that here but I consider a weekly crash or so for
a browser nowadays an excellent achievement ;-).

> similar to the OP's report: I get relatively frequent but
> unpredictable crashes on complex Web pages, with both
> Mozilla and Firefox.

Can't say anything for Mozilla.

> It's annoying, and I'd love to know causes and solutions!

Because it's so difficult to reproduce it's also hard to find the cause :-(.
I plan to try linux-opera on 4.10. Should do flash and java... (being unable
to get java working was what made me switch from Opera to Firefox couple
of months ago)

Karel.