filesystem full on install

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 23:47:02 PDT 2004

it was written:

>However, when it starts to install, it fails saying the filesystem is
>full. This can't be.  It's a 40Gb drive.  I started by overwriting my
>hd using a utility called boot and nuke.  Then I allocated the whole
>thing to freebsd and made that partition bootable.  Then in disklabel,
>I hit "a" to do a default setup.  I've tried several different things
>in disklabel and I wipe my disk clean between each try and nothing
>seems to work.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Hello,

This seems to be the nub of your problem. The message saying "the
filesystem is full" means the partition is full, not the harddrive.
Make sure the drive's geometry and that reported in disklabel agree. I
think you should start over and use the instructions at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html
as a guide, particularly section 2.5.5.
As to the problem with the router and intermittent failures to connect,
that sounds like TCP/IP problem. The fact it seemingly goes away is
very odd. Make sure you're not using an IP address already assigned to
some other interface (and may as well that your subnet mask, hostname,
and DNS address are correct, too). Double check that you're using a
supported NIC.

HTH,

Stheg