filesystem full on install

Ryan Lamb ryanlamb82 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:37:05 PDT 2004

I'm trying to install FreeBSD for the first time but I am having an error
that I can't figure out.  I have googled for an answer and read mailing list
posts but still can't find what I'm looking for.  First, when the disk boots
and checks the hardware, it does something strange to my network card that
makes my router light turn yellow instead of green indicating 10 Mbps mode
instead of 100.  Anyway, once I get ready to do the install, it can't
contact the ftp site, it just stays forever at connecting but it does change
my network card back so the router light is green.  If I do a control c to
cancel it and restart installation, I can contact the site.  However, when
it starts to install, it fails saying the filesystem is full.  This can't
be.  It's a 40Gb drive.  I started by overwriting my hd using a utility
called boot and nuke.  Then I allocated the whole thing to freebsd and made
that partition bootable.  Then in disklabel, I hit "a" to do a default
setup.  I've tried several different things in disklabel and I wipe my disk
clean between each try and nothing seems to work.  Any help would be
appreciated.  Thanks.