dell 400sc scsi and 4.10 install

Jeanne techielists at regionalhelpwanted.com
Mon Aug 16 10:35:17 PDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:07:17 -0400 (EDT)
Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've seen this topic come up in the lists recently but I haven't seen a
> > solution for it. I'm trying to install 4.10 on a new 400SC. When I boot I see:
> >
> > HBA	ID	LUN		Vendor
> > 0	0	0		Fugitsu			36422MB
> > 0	7	0		LSILogic 1020/1030
> > 1	7	0		LSILogic 1020/2030
> >
> > I'm able to partition the 36G drive but then the install (floppy - network)
> > hangs when creating the file systems.
> > Unable to make new root filesystem on /dev/da0s1a
> >         Command returned status 36
> >
> > BIOS options for drive configurations: SATA Primary off/auto, primary
> > master off/auto, ide drive udama off/auto.
>
> We had one site with nearly the same stuff (Dell 400, etc and a controller
> that seemed to be SATA) and the same result.
>
> We could not install on it and the site admin finally replaced the
> controller with a plain SCSI and was able to install with no problem.

Jerry - thanks for the response. I did see your comments on the situation you describe below, sorry that you had to say the same thing twice. But I was/am confused, because I'm not using SATA. I am using the LSILogic scsi controller card. Am I correct in understanding that the LSILogic Ultra320 scsi controller is not supported in FreeBSD? Sorry for the confusion. This is the first trouble I've ever had with a Dell (IDE or SCSI).

Can anyone confirm that the lsilogic ultra320 scsi controller just wont work at all, or just won't work in 4.10. Is there maybe some way to emulate an adaptec card or something like that?

(I'm pushing for more help because I've got a deadline for putting a machine in production and shipping this back will really cause a delay). Thanks again for any help,

Jeanne