root access to ftp, telnet

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Aug 15 18:56:52 PDT 2004

Jay O'Brien <jayobrien at att.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to replicate a successful FreeBSD installation
> on a new HD with a different file structure. I am able to
> access the FreeBSD machine over my LAN as a user, but not
> as root. This is true for both ftp and telnet.

I do not use telnet or FTP because neither are secure, however, I
believe root access through these protocols is denied by default.
I know root access is denied via ssh.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how to allow root access through
FTP and telnet, but I'm sure the associated config files will have an
option to allow it.  It would be wise to take a hint, however, and NOT
allow it, as it' is not secure.

> The ftp connect as root is rejected outright, yet a user
> connect works fine.

Sounds like a correct configuration

> After I first connect via telnet as a user and attempt su,
> the response is "you are not in the correct group (wheel)
> to su root."

Add the user to the wheel group who you want to be able su.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies