find -exec surprisingly slow

Pat Lashley patl+freebsd at volant.org
Sun Aug 15 14:22:06 PDT 2004

--On Sunday, August 15, 2004 12:30:01 +0930 "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh at logicsquad.net> wrote:

> Good question---without context, my claim that I can do nothing else
> seems wrong.  What I should have said is "given I have an interest in
> collecting all the spams to non-existent addresses, I don't think I
> can make qmail do anything other than deliver it to the new/ subdir of
> a Maildir."

Could you create a user to get them; and give that user a procmail
(or similar) delivery-time script to file them into subdirs based
on some arbitrary characteristic?

> IMHO, these messages should be _rejected_ at the SMTP session, though
> (AFAICS) qmail won't do this (without being patched).  (I am sure I
> once read a "security" justification for this behaviour, though I
> can't seem to find any justification for it at all now.  I am willing
> to be convinced otherwise, but IMHO, accepting these messages is bogus
> behaviour.)  Anyway, I was about to embark on tracking down a patch to
> do SMTP-level rejection, when I decided I would just funnel them into
> a Maildir and use them later to train Bogofilter, or whatever.

Just FYI, Exim, with the ExiScan patches, can reject at SMTP time;
and also has a 'fakereject' capability which tells the sender that
the message has been rejected; but actually delivers it.

-Pat