Is promiscuous mode bad?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Aug 15 14:08:08 PDT 2004

Aaron Dalton <aaron at daltons.ca> wrote:

> I was running security/rkhunter and it warns me about my network card
> being in
> promiscuous mode.  I have a few questions:
> 1) What exactly is promiscuous mode? (I've done some googling but haven't
> found anything really clear)

Promiscuous mode means the network card sends all traffic received to the
kernel for processing, even if it wasn't destin for the MAC address of that
card.  In normal mode, traffic not destin for that card is dropped and the
kernel never sees it.

> 2) Why might it be considered a bad thing?

Once the card is placed in promiscuous mode, users on your system can use
packet sniffers to sniff network traffic without needing root privs on
your system.  The NIC is promiscuous for the whole machine.

> 3) How do I disable it if it really is bad?

ifconfig should allow you to do this.

> 4) What are the effects of disabling it?

Pretty much the reverse of #2.  If you're running may types of scanning
software, or network sniffers, they will put the card in promisc mode.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies