dell 8400 install prob

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Aug 15 05:45:21 PDT 2004

I am trying to install freebsd 4.9 on my new dell 8400.

I don't see any conflicts in the config stage, but during the setup the
install just hangs after <plip>.

The machine has an sata drive and by default the bios is to configure
hyper threading on. I've tried changing various settings and in order to
  reinstall XP I had to change the bios drive setting to do raid/ata
autodetect. Certainly turning off HT doesn't seem to get the freebsd
install any further.

I managed to get various knoppix/freesbie versions to come up, but not
easily and only the knoppix 3.2 seems to see the hard drive properly.
--
Robin Becker