Fetchmail/Sendmail rejects

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sat Aug 14 08:16:51 PDT 2004

On Saturday 14 August 2004 23:37, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Malcolm Kay wrote:
> [ ... ]
>
> > I am quite happy to have these rejected but it seems they don't
> > get deleted at the ISP end and clog up the mail box, I think
> > eventually confusing fetchmail.
>
> You ought to convince your ISP to apply better spam filtering before they
> accept messages for you, which will reduce the problem you see.

I agree except that my ISP already provides extensive SPAM filtering. The
problem is with those that don't trip the ISP's spam filter. I am able to
set the spam trigger level -- maybe I should be setting this lower. But
I don't believe unsolvable addresses is included in his criteria.

> > Responding to 2 or 3 lists using a valid e-mail address means that
> > I receive a lot of spam including much with unresolvable addresses.
>
> Nowadays, you can receive a lot of spam regardless of what you do, so it
> helps to reject most of it immediately.

Agreed

Malcolm