portupgrade/ports question

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Sat Aug 14 07:33:50 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 12:14:23PM -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Situation:
> I set up a portal server as per the instructions at their site; it
> involved installing some PERL modules from CPAN, which I have since
> learned on FreeBSD appears to be a no no...
>
> Now I have some updates to do, but I don't want it to interfere with
> the web portal software.  In theory, the updates should just replace
> the CPAN stuff where they overlap, no?  When I do some updates on
> software (like ClamAV) that apparently *uses* some of these modules, I
> get the error:
> pkg_delete: package bsdpan-MIME-tools-5.411 has no origin recorded
> pkg_delete: package bsdpan-MailTools-1.62 has no origin recorded
> pkg_delete: package bsdpan-MIME-tools-5.411 has no origin recorded
> pkg_delete: package bsdpan-MailTools-1.62 has no origin recorded
>
> but these errors aren't enough to keep it from completing the update on
> the software in question. Portversion is yielding:
>
> # portversion | grep -v "="
> apache                      <
> bsdpan-Archive-Zip          <
> bsdpan-DBD-mysql            <
> bsdpan-DBI                  <
> bsdpan-IO-stringy           >
> bsdpan-Lingua-EN-NameParse  >
> bsdpan-MIME-tools           #
> bsdpan-Mail-POP3Client      >
> bsdpan-MailTools            #
> bsdpan-Spreadsheet-WriteExcel  >
> bsdpan-Test-Manifest        <
> bsdpan-URI                  <
> bsdpan-Unicode-String       <
> bsdpan-XML-RSS              <
> bsdpan-perl-ldap            <
> expat                       <
> ezm3                        <
> libiconv                    <
> m4                          <
> openssl                     <
> p5-libwww                   <
> perl                        <
> rc_subr                     <
> rsync                       <
> ruby                        <
>

> Meaning some PAN modules are of *higher* versions than available
> through ports?  How?
>
> Can I safely try upgrading those modules?  Has anyone run into
> something like this before?

I have got these may times over. You have nothing to wurry about. If you
check with pkg_version then you will see that non of them are reported
with a higher version (i.e. >).

You can rebuilt varius package related stuf to be on the safe side. One
command is portsdb -uU.  There can be one or two other relevant command
but i don't know these by memory. You can find them, do, in the
portupgrade manual.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: