Running Mozilla FireBird 6.1.6 Under Linux Emulation On FreeBSD 4.10

Rob DeMarco r.p.demarco at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 14 06:58:06 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 15:55, Paul Mather wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 04:03:01 +0000, Rob DeMarco
> <r.p.demarco at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > <SNIP>
>
> I am using linux_base-8-8.0_4 on my FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE system, so I can
> confirm that it is possible to use something more recent that
> linux_base-6.  (In fact, the default linux_base is 7.)

  So far, so good then...

> It looks like you have the emulators/linux_base package already
> installed, but it is back from when 6, not 7 used to be the default.
> You should be able to use portupgrade to upgrade your linux_base-6.1_6
> to a more recent version.  This does assume you have the ports tree
> installed (and preferably up to date via cvsup) under /usr/ports...

  While I have some familiarity with the ports tree, I didn't install
it this time because of limited disk space (though I suppose I could
do a partial port-tree install).  Also, my P150 makes compiles long
and painful :)
  To avoid all that, I'm trying to see if a simple binary pkg_add
to Linux-emul 7 would do the trick.
I could try a direct pkg_add from the FBSD-5 ports tree (it all
goes into /compat anyway, right?) but I'm not sure about the kld
issue.  Anyway, I'll think about my options, and whether compiling
from scratch is really worth it for me.  Thanks for your help!