mod_perl HELP!

jason jason at ec.rr.com
Fri Aug 13 22:59:07 PDT 2004

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2004, at 12:02 AM, jason wrote:
>
>> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone help?  When I try going into /usr/ports/www/mod_perl and
>>> "make install", I get:
>>> ===>  Installing for mod_perl-1.29
>>> ===>   mod_perl-1.29 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/apxs - found
>>> ===>   mod_perl-1.29 depends on file:
>>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/LWP.pm - found
>>> ===>   mod_perl-1.29 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.4 - found
>>> ===>   mod_perl-1.29 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.4 - found
>>> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
>>> ===>  Checking if www/mod_perl already installed
>>> (cd ./apaci &&
>>> PERL5LIB=/usr/ports/www/mod_perl/work/mod_perl-1.29/lib: make)
>>> make: don't know how to make
>>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.4/mach/Config.pm. Stop
>>> *** Error code 2
>>>
>>> I think the problem is that PERL is now at 5.8.5; when trying to
>>> portupgrade apache, I had an error to the effect that it couldn't
>>> find a perl 5.8.4 binary, and when I symlinked perl.5.8.4 to
>>> perl.5.8.5, it installed from ports.  But mod_perl refuses.  Is his
>>> a ports problem??
>>>
>>> Can someone confirm this error?
>>>
>>> System:
>>> 4.9-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p9
>>>
>>> -Bart
>>
>> Don't link stuff like perl unless you know what you are doing.  Read
>> the usr/ports/UPDATING for info on perl. To make things easy on you
>> what version of perl is listed in you /etc/make.conf, is it 5.8.4?
>> You then want to install the new port of perl and then type $use.perl
>> port in the work dir(I think) to tell bsd you have 5.8.5.  Check
>> make.conf to see if it is updated, it wasn't for me so I changed it
>> by hand.  $perl -v should id itself as the right version.  You must
>> also rebuild every port that depends on perl.  There is a 3 line
>> portupgrade command in UPDATING that I could not get to work so I
>> upgraded them all.  That takes a while with over 200 ports.
>

> I never *know* what I'm doing.  The seat of my pants have wings :-)
>
> I did just recently update to perl 5.8.5 (via portupgrade).  I have
> since done a make deinstall, make clean, and make reinstall on it as
> well.  It should be in the updates.

So you have 5.8.5, or you had it when you tried to install mod_perl?
Yet the output shows 5.8.4.  You just caused me to learn something.  The
$use.perl port does work.

Here is my make.conf.  You see at the top I changed the perl version by
hand to get it to work.  If you look down you will seen everytime I did
a $use.perl port a new perl config was added, but none deleted.  So it
seems bsd goes with whats at top!  Delete the first 9 lines in yours and
the new perl version info should be at the bottom of yours too.  You
only need to keep one perl config.  How about do a make clean and then
make depend and send it to me with a copy of your make.conf.

# -- use.perl generated deltas -- #'               <<==delete
# Created: Sun Oct 19 22:47:41 2003                     and all between
on yours
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.8.5
PERL_VERSION=5.8.5
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo

NO_PERL=yo

NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo                               <<==delete
CPUTYPE=athlon-xp
CFLAGS=-O -pipe -fschedule-insns2 -fomit-frame-pointer
#-frename-registers #-fforce-addr -fforce-mem#-funroll-loops
CXXFLAGS+=-fschedule-insns2 #-fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized
COPTFLAGES=-O -pipe -funroll-loops -fschedule-insns2
NO_I4B=true
NO_KERBEROS=true
NO_TCSH=true
#NOCRYPT=true
NOGAMES=true
#NOMANCOMPRESS=true
NO_SHAREDOCs=true
NO_SENDMAIL=true
SUP_UPDATE=yes
SUP=/usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPHOST=cvsup2.freebsd.org
SUPFILE=/etc/cvs/standard
PORTSSUPFILE=/etc/cvs/ports
DOCSUPFILE=/etc/cvs/docs
DOC_LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1
X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg
# -- use.perl generated deltas -- #                     <<==these extras
too if you have them
# Created: Fri Aug  6 00:23:24 2004
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.6.1
PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo
NO_PERL=yo
NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo                                    <<==extra

# -- use.perl generated deltas -- #                  <<==keep the last
one, it should be right!
# Created: Fri Aug  6 00:32:52 2004
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.8.5
PERL_VERSION=5.8.5
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo
NO_PERL=yo
NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo                                   <<==keep

> I think there's a make or conf file calling for that condition to be
> checked as a dependency.  It seems to work properly with that link,
> once it got by the "check" stage of the make.  I didn't like that
> workaround either, but making all those ports via
> deinstall/clean/install still wasn't fixing the error.  :-/

So the link caused the depend stage to finish ok, but it should have
failled if the right version was not there.  The link defeats the
purpose of having a dependancy check at all.

> The second problem is that this server, due to following instructions
> from the software installed on it, had some bsdpan modules installed
> on it that are screwing with the port database (missing origins, etc.)
> and I'm trying to gauge whether I can install all the p5 modules
> instead of bsdpan modules to replace them and if so how to remove the
> bsdpan modules without interfering with the ports version.  so far
> when I slam into an error I've been able to go into the ports tree and
> uninstall then clean then install and that seems to clear it up (and
> hopefully get the ports database into a consistent state).

I find that you can ignore install instructions on bsd for the most
part.  It sounds bad, but that is why the ports system is there.  All
you should have to do is type make install or pkg_add etc.... and be
done with it.  If you did more than this because the docs with the app
said so, that can be a problem.  Mplayer is a good example.  To compile
it yourself is a pain, but make install works like a charm!