ADSL internet + router

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Fri Aug 13 05:52:33 PDT 2004

Miguel Cardenas wrote:
> Hello list
>
> Am about to get an ADSL internet connection... there are two devices
> available, an ADSL modem and a router... the modem should not have a problem
> to work (I have one at office), but have a doubt with the router and don't
> know which device aquire...

Assuming it's a modem/router with a web management interface, I'd
recommend using that.

> I have my local network configured with private addresses in the range
> 192.168.0.* and GATEWAY=192.168.0.x (the ip of the server with firewall)...
> My question is... would I be able with the router to use it as gateway
> without assigning dynamic addresses via DHCP? I want to preserve my static
> private addresses 192.168.0.* with a GATEWAY=... configuration, is that
> possible?

Shouldn't be a problem. Just turn off dhcp on the router and make sure
the LAN interface is set to the right network. Alternatively, keep dhcp
on, set to the right network, but set the pool of available addresses to
exclude the ones you are using at the moment. That way, you have the
option of using dhcp for any new additions to your network.

Peter.