ADSL internet + router

Ralph Hempel rhempel at bmts.com
Fri Aug 13 05:45:23 PDT 2004

> Am about to get an ADSL internet connection... there are two devices
> available, an ADSL modem and a router... the modem should not have a problem
> to work (I have one at office), but have a doubt with the router and don't
> know which device aquire...
>
> I have my local network configured with private addresses in the range
> 192.168.0.* and GATEWAY=192.168.0.x (the ip of the server with firewall)...
> My question is... would I be able with the router to use it as gateway
> without assigning dynamic addresses via DHCP? I want to preserve my static
> private addresses 192.168.0.* with a GATEWAY=... configuration, is that
> possible?
>
> In the worst case I can setup a firewall and use one of my computers as
> gateway with 2 ethernet cards, one for the router and the other for my LAN...

I have an ADSL modem, and I plug that into my wireless router. It's
address is 192.168.1.1 and it acts as the gateway.

I can also configure it (via braowser interface) to forward packets
from the internet to specific machines on my network, on a port
by port basis.

I also use a dynamic DNS service, so that it just magically works. Here's
a little article I worte on it:

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/embedded/stories/bdgFreeBSDApache2.html>

The dynamic DNS bit is at the end...

Ralph