reinstall ports with new options

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 00:18:51 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 06:20:09PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <maillist at computerking.ca> wrote:
>
> > dick hoogendijk wrote:

> > >Isn't "make deinstall ; make reinstall" enough ?
> > >
> > nope just installs maybe i am mistaken about the options screen has
> > anyone installed this port lately have seem some docs on the net that
> > say i should select only the pwcheck from this screen that does not come
> > up for me.
> >
> > Is there anyway to use checkpassword to authenticate to postfix as i
> > already have it running for bincimap seems to work well is it secure
>
> If there is an option menu, "make config" should allow you to tweak it.
>
> It doesn't seem as if the cyrus-sasl2 port has an option menu.

For some of the ports where you can use SASL, all you need to do is
set

    WITH_SASL= yes

in your /etc/make.conf (or the equivalent in
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf) and reinstall.  For some of those ports,
that will cause '-sasl' to be added to the port name.

Other ports have both sasl and non-sasl versions, and you just have to
install the appropriate one.

A further set of ports use the OPTIONS mechanism.  Look in
/var/db/ports for all of the options you've set previously.  For
options using ports, you set the options using the pop-up menu the
first time you install the port, and those settings are remembered
even if you completely deinstall and reinstall the port.  You'll only
see the options setting dialog again if:

    * The set of available options changes with a new revision of the
      port

    * You run 'make config' in the appropriate port directory

    * You delete the appropriate directory from under /var/db/ports

That last option is not generally recommended -- better to use the
mechanisms built into the ports system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way