How to disable UDMA for HDD?

Stevan Tiefert stevan.tiefert at freenet.de
Thu Aug 12 23:05:42 PDT 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 19:11, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Stevan Tiefert wrote:
> [ ... ]
>
> > you did not understood what I wanted. I needed a suggestion how to
> > install FreeBSD without UDMA-support. Your suggestion is only useful if
> > the system is running, but that was not the case!
>
> What happens if you configure the BIOS of the system not to use UDMA modes
> for that device?  Most BIOSes will let you control individual devices, so
> set whatever it is to PIO4; otherwise, disable UDMA for everything long
> enough to complete the install, and then tweak things from there.

Hello Chuck,

it is right, if you say that BIOSes provide switching between PIO0 to PIO4,
but there is no way to control UDMA in a BIOS. Anyway, it doesn't matter,
because every Operating System (without DOS) is taking control after the
bootstrap over the hardware and even FreeBSD. If the kernel is taking
control, switches have to take in the kernel described in the e-mail from
Nathan at the loader prompt:

set hw.ata.ata_dma="0"

Bye
Stevan Tiefert
--
deltree /y c:\windows
My suggestion to solve all your problems!