ADSL internet + router

Eric Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Thu Aug 12 22:33:28 PDT 2004

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Hello list
>
> Am about to get an ADSL internet connection... there are two devices
> available, an ADSL modem and a router... the modem should not
> have a problem
> to work (I have one at office), but have a doubt with the
> router and don't
> know which device aquire...
>
> I have my local network configured with private addresses in
> the range
> 192.168.0.* and GATEWAY=192.168.0.x (the ip of the server
> with firewall)...
> My question is... would I be able with the router to use it
> as gateway
> without assigning dynamic addresses via DHCP? I want to
> preserve my static
> private addresses 192.168.0.* with a GATEWAY=...
> configuration, is that
> possible?
>
> In the worst case I can setup a firewall and use one of my computers
as
> gateway with 2 ethernet cards, one for the router and the
> other for my LAN...
>
> Any comment?
>
> Thanks!!

Hey there,

I have always used the router option.  This is a DSL modem, with a
'broadband gateway' built in.  There are no drivers or anything, you
just plug it in, configure it via web-configuration (for most brands)
and plug it into the ethernet port of your computer system.  This has
been working well for me for many years.

Eric

Found on Conan O'Brian:
Children's books written by celebrities;
   By Mel Gibson: Jesus Christ and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very
Bad Day.

-----
Keep your powder dry and your pecker hard and the world WILL turn.

-----
Eric F Crist