Syslog Server Setup Questions

Ronnie Clark ronj_clark at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 08:50:35 PDT 2004

Hello all,

I am trying to setup a syslog server. Here is my
current setup:
FreeBSD 4.10 STABLE with syslogd running with the -a
switch to allow the remote server to log to it:
/usr/sbin/syslod -a 172.16.3.102/26

in syslog.conf:
+172.16.3.102
*.*		/var/log/syslog/test.log

Yet my test.log file is empty. I have rebooted and
tried to cause some syslog messages on the syslog
server. Also, there is no firewall or other filtering
device between these machines and they are on same
subnet.

Does anyone have a good setup doc on setting up a
syslog server?

[Bonus question] Has anyone setup a Windows server to
log to syslog? If so, how?

Thanks in advance,
Ron Clark