order of starting services at boot?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Aug 11 08:40:50 PDT 2004

Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > Can anybody explain to me how FreeBSD 5.2.1 controls the start order of
> > the scripts in /etc/rc.d ?
>
> I think it is just "alphabetic" order according to whatever sort
> order is in effect.

But that _is_ how 4.X and previous version did it.  But I think it's
changed in 5.x.

5.x has a some new stuff built into rcng which allows you to specify
dependencies so that (for example) your database application doesn't
start until the database server is up and running.

I don't know the details of how it works yet.  It's on my TODO list to
take some time to research it and understand the new features available,
but I haven't got to it yet.  Rhodes has apparently been busy, though,
since there is a new section in the handbook on rcng:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-rcng.html

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies