FreeBSD-MBR is not working

Stevan Tiefert stevan.tiefert at freenet.de
Tue Aug 10 23:55:24 PDT 2004

Hello list,

when I install FreeBSD alone on my computer the system is booting normally.
When I install Windows 98 before and then installing FreeBSD and boot
afterwards the computer, the FreeBSD-MBR offers the menue to boot the
systems, but every stroke on the keyboard causes a "beep", the countdown to
boot the last system is not active and only Ctrl+Alt+Del is possible.

1. Maybe I should say that I installed my FreeBSD with the option:
set hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
at the loader prompt, because my HDD is not understanding UDMA/33 and higher
and I had to configure that manually.
2. Maybe I should say that, if I use the "standard"-MBR from Windows 98 the
Windows is starting. That is the reason that I think that maybe something is
wrong with the FreeBSD-MBR.

Any solutions for this scenario?

Bye
Stevan Tiefert

--
deltree /y c:\windows
My suggestion to solve all your problems!