i think i've broken portinstall

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 05:33:15 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:16:40PM +0100, Vince Hoffman wrote:
> I just went to install netcat and portinstal seems to have broken, not
> sure when or how though.
>
> the process i use (as normal)
>
> <root at lobster> [/root] [12:30]
> #cd /usr/ports/net/netcat/
>
> <snip reading the pkg-desc etc>
>
> <root at lobster> [/usr/ports/net/netcat] [12:30]
> #portinstall netcat
> ** No such installed package nor such port called 'netcat' is found.
>
> fair enough this happens sometimes. so...
>
> <root at lobster> [/usr/ports/net/netcat] [12:30]
> #portinstall net/netcat
> <root at lobster> [/usr/ports/net/netcat] [12:30]
> #
>
> ok i dont understand what happened here.
> I have a cron job update my ports tree by cvsup every night then run a
> portsdb -Uu after each update, a manual portsdb -Uu gives me
>
> a bunch of errors from MailScanner and others (dependency list incomplete
> errors so not too big a deal.)
> but also lots (more than a couple of screenfuls) of lines like this
>
> /usr/ports/INDEX-5:10775:Port info line must consist of 10 fields.
> /usr/ports/INDEX-5:10776:Port info line must consist of 10 fields.
> /usr/ports/INDEX-5:10777:Port info line must consist of 10 fields.
> /usr/ports/INDEX-5:10778:Port info line must consist of 10 fields.
> /usr/ports/INDEX-5:10779:Port info line must consist of 10 fields.
>
> should i just blow away my ports tree and re-CVSUP the whole thing ?

Do you have an up to date version of portupgrade ? Latest is:

    % pkg_info -I portupgrade\*
    portupgrade-20040701_3 FreeBSD ports/packages administration and management tool s

And you should have a similar recent version of the Makefiles under
/usr/ports/Mk: specifically, you should have bsd.port.subdir.mk v 1.55

Looks like your portupgrade and the ports Makefiles are out of synch
with respect to the change in the format of the INDEX{,-5} files that
happened recently.  That means the number of fields in the INDEX went
from 10 to 13.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way