A question about /tmp

Gary Mulder gmulder at infotechfl.com
Mon Aug 9 12:02:06 PDT 2004

Of course having /tmp -> /var/tmp means that you have no valid /tmp in
single user mode where /var is not mounted. That is unless you created
/var/tmp in single user mode, but that would mean /var would be mounted
over the root partition's /var/tmp dir in multi-user mode, which can be
non-intuitive to say the least.

The net result of not having a valid /tmp is that some commands issued in
single-user mode may fail non-obviously as they might (reasonably?) assume
/tmp is available.

Gary

--
Gary Mulder   <mailto:gary.mulder at infotechfl.com>