Setting environmental variable for Netbeans

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Aug 9 07:56:03 PDT 2004

Peter Ryan wrote:

>I am treading more unknown ground trying
>to get NetBeans to run on 4.10.
>
>I installed jdk 1.4.2 (thanks to help from
>here), and have installed this Netbeans
>via the ports collection.
>
>Now when i try to run it, it wants an
>environmental variable called JDK_HOME to
>be set.
>
>Using tips from searching the net, I am
>under the impression I have to change a
>a file called csh.cshrc or maybe .cshrc
>Then I did a find files on .cshrc, and
>found 2 copies - one under
>root/ and the other under usr/home/peter.
>
>I am logged in under root, so I am not sure
>which file I should change, or even if this
>is the correct file.
>
>Could someone point me in the right
>direction before I fiddle enough to have
>to resinstall again :)
>
>Thanks,
>Peter

Reinstall?  I don't think it'll get that severe just from
this.  BSD and XP rhyme ... that's about it.

Very simply, the file ".cshrc" is the C-shell's
"resource" file.  It is read after login by the
shell as the shell is starting up.  So, if you
are logging in as "peter", it will read
/usr/home/peter/.cshrc and set up things like
your shell prompt, some aliases, and environment
variables...

The same is true for a root login; root's shell
reads "/root/.cshrc" (assuming, of course, that
root's shell is csh or tcsh ...)

The line could appear anywhere in .cshrc, and the
syntax for the var would be:

setenv JDK_HOME /somedir/here

That's assuming, of course, that Netbeans
is looking for a path, and not a boolean or
other data type.

While I'm mentioning stuff, it might be a
Good Thing(tm) to mention that root logins
are *not* considered a Good Thing(tm) [1]....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.

[1] www.freebsd.org/handbook/users-superuser.html