DHCP help

Thomas thomas.heyman at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Aug 8 17:04:55 PDT 2004

On Monday 09 August 2004 01:10, Peter Barton wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I have been struggling with my DHCP connection for quite some time and even
> though my interent search yielded some information that I used, the whole
> thing still won't work. My problem is that my dhclient never finds any DHCP
> servers on the Comcast network. The default dhclient that came with the
> installation simply times out, the other one that I 'make installed'
> according to the info posted at
> http://networking.ringofsaturn.com.Unix/ipnatdfirewall.php keeps
> complaining about my subnet(s). I would greatly appreciate any help, I have
> spent a lot of time on this without any luck.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

<snip>

Peter,

What exactly do you mean, "complaining about your subnet(s)"? Try starting
dhclient with the -v option, and post the output please.

I recently had similar problems with FreeBSD 5.2.1. My network card was
working fine, dhclient kept sending out DHCPDISCOVER packets, but no offers
were received. The problem was caused by my cable modem: it cached the MAC
address of the NIC of my regular computer, and when I plugged in my FreeBSD
box things went wrong because it had another NIC. The problem was solved by
clearing the cache of my cable modem. On most cable modems this can be
accomplished by yanking out the power supply, waiting 10 seconds, and
plugging it back in ;) .

I hope this helps,
Thomas