Dynalink tablet (AceCad) pointer initialization problem

Hans Lambermont hans at lambermont.dyndns.org
Sun Aug 8 12:38:02 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have a serial Dynalink pen tablet (which in fact is an AceCad tablet),
with initialization problems. I must change my XFree86-4 XF86Config to

    Option "Protocol"    "Auto"

then start X, try the pen and wait for /var/log/XFree86.0.log to report

    (II) Mouse autoprobe: selecting MMSeries protocol

Then I can exit X, switch the protocol "Auto" in XF86Config back into

    Option "Protocol"    "MMSeries"

start X again and all is fine. Until the next reboot that is.

If I do not use this trick to get things right the pointer immediately
goes to the upper left corner and stays there. The buttons all work OK.

This is on 5.2.1-RELEASE, with XFree86-4.3.0,1 (and
XFree86-Server-4.3.0_14 , XFree86-clients-4.3.0_8 ,
XFree86-libraries-4.3.0_7)

The relevant XF86Config sections are:

    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Pen1"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option "Protocol"    "MMSeries"
    #    Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
        Option "Device" "/dev/cuaa1"
        Option "BaudRate"   "9600"
        Option "FlowControl" "None"
    EndSection

and

    Section "ServerLayout"
        InputDevice "Pen1"      "AlwaysCore"
    EndSection

Adding things like
        Option "Vmin" "1"
        Option "Vtime" "0"
        Option "Parity" "Odd"
        Option "DataBits" "8"
        Option "StopBits" "1"
or
        Option "Parity" "None"
        Option "DataBits" "8"
        Option "StopBits" "2"
to the InputDevice section does not help in initializing the tablet.

I also modified rc.d/serial to set cuaia1 and cuala1 to 9600 baud
(copying the mouse example of 1200 baud) but this does not help.

I have no idea what to try next. Anyone ?

regards,
   Hans Lambermont
--
http://lambermont.webhop.org/ () ASCII-ribbon campaign against vCards,