I did something stupid ?

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Sat Aug 7 19:43:58 PDT 2004

[ top-posting detected ;-( -- it's hard to read  -- content reordered logically]

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 02:55:16 +0100
"R. W." <list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 07 August 2004 23:49, Peter wrote:
> > I have succesfully update my freebsd 5.2.1 using cvssup
> > supfile-standard. A month after that I decied to update again and put
> > "tag=RELENG_5_2" whc is osme sort of downgrade I think ..
> > I made build world succesfully, but when I tried to make build kernel
> > I got config: Error: device "ixgb" is unknown and more erro I do not
> > remeber. It was strane since I have not edited the kernel config file

It is possible to happen, since devices can change (e.g. disappear or
change their names like the pcm has changed to sound in -CURRENT).

Without the specific output is hard to tell.

> > ?! However I commeted the both trouble device I though useles: RAID
> > controller and some intel 100/10Gb card.
> > Which turns to be a misatke since I could  not connect to that server
> > any more. I sent request to the host to boot it with GENERIC kernel.
> > Aany advice is welcome :-)

The proper upgrade procedure is described both in handbook and in
/usr/src/UPDATING. To be short:
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=you_kernel
make installkernel KERNCONF=you_kernel
<reboot>
mergemaster -p
make installworld
mergemaster

It seems you haven't done that.

> Sound like what you actually did was upgrade to  FreeBSD-CURRENT
> which is bleeding edge (and probably closer to 5.3 than 5.21), and then
> downgraded to 5.2.1.

No, the OP has cvsup to the security branch for 5.2.1.R

> If you couldn't build the kernel then you shouldn't actually have
> installed anything yet. In that case I would leave it and see if you
> can get back on track with 5.3-RELEASE (subject to anyone more
> knowledgable answering).
>
> I don't really see why you would be having trouble booting, unless you
> installed something, out of sequence. Have you tried booting the
> previous kernel?

This part what I don't understand either.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"